Golf betting, if properly done, will give you the greatest odds with the biggest winners like in other online sports betting. Because in that competition there are so many participants, particularly the majors, rates can be generous on genuine contenders.
Nevertheless, there is often a major fan–Rory McIlroy, more often than not. Favorites appear to underperform in general (if you ignore the’ boom’ of the Woods a couple of years ago). It generally leaves the field free to definition in gambling.
Avoiding Famous Players
When at a golfing line-up for a major tournament, your eyes are likely to look at the familiar names of Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson and the like in the beginning. Sometimes, though, it’s much less talked-about players who break from the pack to compete for the big events–just look at Jordan Spieth and Billy Horschel as highlights from the past few years. Normally these players were discarded on the market, so it is the responsibility of the punter to search these dark horses to find some real interest.
Nonetheless, perhaps the hardest task is attempting to determine which golfer trusts himself–i.e. who is riding high on faith before the first tee, which in turn will lead others to trust him. Golf’s intricacy and eccentricity means players are constantly going in and out of shape; yes, a player may be out of shape for two years and then go and win the Masters.
There are clear signs to be looked for, though. A big hint can often be provided by the volatility in golf betting markets. If the public is fancied by a player who has been off-form, then there is obviously trust behind him. Besides this, you have to watch out for recent tournaments because, as with most sports, the recent form is always a decent standard for measuring potential success.
Study the Golf Course
Although as mentioned, in order to perform well, players need not always have excelled before a tournament.
Therefore, looking at the various courses on which the respective golfers play well is a good idea. It will be worth looking at Bubba Watson at next year’s Masters, for sure, but also at Peter Hanson, K.J Choi, and Phil Mickelson, for whom Augusta has no concerns.
Check the Weather
Certain factors to watch for include weather conditions, the ability to handle pressure, and any niggling accidents invasive results. Perhaps the most important thing to remember when you bet on golf is not just to help the pick. In more cases than not, each player’s chances can fluctuate significantly during the match itself and after day one or two favorite will finish at a much higher price.
Wait for the start of the event, and if you notice that your pre-tournament fancy missed a few shots, you’ll be happy you didn’t back him. If you see your choice playing well, you can also join in.
In a bookmaker, flat golf betting can often be one of the worst and most difficult things to do. Nonetheless, it’s always hugely satisfying and, most importantly, lucrative when you pick the champion. It is probably more difficult to pick a winner in golf than any other sport, as the field can often consist of 130 or more players.
Of reality, the counterpoint to this–and the reason people keep coming back to the fairways on tv–is that some very tempting chances are always on sale. It’s no joke in many tournaments to see the favourite go off in double-figure chances. In a golf tournament, you can never see a favourite starting at less than around 4/1, and even odds that are low.
And, as you think through the options, it raises the question of just how you define interest picks:
- Evaluate the course and the predicted circumstances – Similar courses behave somewhat differently, and some players are particularly suited for certain types of fairways and greens. For example, various lengths can all play a key role in categorizing a course of different types of rough and different architects. Some players enjoy playing in the mountains, while others prefer windy coastal ties.
- Choose suitable players for their surroundings – There is an array of statistics available for evaluating golfers who will play in any given tournament, ranging from the most basic information such as driving distance and legal greens to more complex and rare statistics such as putting strokes and left-hand rough approaches. These will have priceless bets for your golf.
- For the most important figures, suit the demands of a program – The important thing is to adapt the demands of a program to the most important facts and take advantage of that course. If it is well known for its size, it would be wise to look at those players who score highly in the rating of driving distance. Likewise, it would be wise to look at those players with a high sand saving percentage if it is considered to have a lot of well-positioned bunkers around the course.
- Research the current form of golfer – Shape is another important aspect of golf betting. Success also brings more success, as in any sport. If a player achieves top-10 or top-20 finishes over and over again, it is often worth keeping an eye on. You’re just hunting for a player to put in golf betting, just as much as you want to win. For a player with decent odds, a top-5 finish will offset the stakes for the next couple of weeks, so a player regularly around the top of the leader board can be lucrative even if he doesn’t qualify.
- Look at the tournament’s past golfer results. Ultimately, dig at the tournament’s previous performances. Experience can be significant, as noted earlier, and if a player’s game is tailored to a particular course where he’s been good before, chances are that he can go back well.
Golf gambling can be very challenging as you can go for weeks without seeing any returns. Golf is different from any other sport, because every five minutes you can have a different leader. However, it will cover any losses and provide additional funds well into the future when your 80/1 shot finally tops the leaderboard.